East Cardston Hutterite Colony (Cardston, Alberta, Canada)
The East Cardston Hutterite Bruderhof near Cardston, Alberta, was founded in 1918 by members of the Warren Ranch Hutterite Colony in Montana. Their preachers in 1947 were David Hofer, chosen by the Jamesville (South Dakota) Bruderhof in 1911, and Joseph Hofer and Jakob Hofer, chosen in East Cardston in 1927 and 1933. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 76 souls with 28 baptized members.
Daughter colonies of East Cardston Hutterite Colony include: Ewelme Hutterite Colony (Fort Macleod, Alberta); High River Hutterite Colony (High River, Alberta); Thompson Hutterite Colony (Fort Macleod, Alberta); and West Bench Hutterite Colony (East End, Saskatchewan).
In 2012 the East Cardston Hutterite Colony was a Dariusleut colony. The minister was David Hofer and the manager was Gideon Hofer.
Location: Cardston, Alberta (coordinates: 49.191944, -113.221944 [49° 11' 31" N, 113° 13' 19" W])
Address: Box 2520, Cardston, AB T0K 0K0
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 118. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "East Cardston Hutterite Colony (Cardston, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2013. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E23810.html.
APA style: Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (May 2013). East Cardston Hutterite Colony (Cardston, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E23810.html.