Living Word Church (Cross Lake, Manitoba, Canada)
Living Word Church joined Mennonite Church Manitoba on 25 February 2006. The congregation had been affiliated with, but was not a member of, the Mennonite Church Manitoba and Mennonite Church Canada for a number of years.
Otto and Margaret Hamm are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by Mennonite Pioneer Mission, and began services in 1956. The first building, built without plumbing or heating, was occupied in 1957. A new sanctuary was completed at the end of 2005, and dedicated on 1 January 2006.
The group has also been known as Cross Lake Mission, Elim Chapel, and Elim Mennonite Church. Jeremiah Ross was a long-time leader at Cross Lake, serving as pastor from 1968-1998. The languages of worship are English and Ojibway.
Canadian Mennonite (11 October 1957): 5; (6 March 2006).
CMC Nexus (June 1996): 9.
Address: PO Box 188, Cross Lake, MB R0B 0J0
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Steiner, Sam and Richard D. Thiessen. "Living Word Church (Cross Lake, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2010. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E522.html.
APA style: Steiner, Sam and Richard D. Thiessen. (July 2010). Living Word Church (Cross Lake, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E522.html.