Ebenezer Mennonite Church (South Boston, Virginia, USA)
Ebenezer Mennonite Church, currently a member of the Southeastern Mennonite Conference, was originally a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The church was organized in 1904 under the leadership of Henry H. Good, the first pastor, with 20 charter members. The 1953 membership was 37, all rural people. They worshiped in a union church until 1931, when a brick church with a seating capacity of 150 was built; it was dedicated in 1932. Otis B. Snead was the minister in charge in 1954.
About 1983 Ebenezer Mennonite Church withdrew from the Virginia Mennonite Conference over doctrinal concerns, and then became a member of the Southeastern Mennonite Conference, a group that had formed in 1972 over concerns about doctrinal issues at Eastern Mennonite College and the Virginia Mennonite Mission Board. A minority of members who did not wish to leave the Virginia conference formed the Faith Mennonite Church.
In 2009 the minister was Kelvin Good; the membership was 77.
Mennonite Church Directory (2009): 99.
Address: 1224 Wolf Trap Road, South Boston, Virginia
Southeastern Mennonite Conference
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 136. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Brunk, Arthur S and Sam Steiner. "Ebenezer Mennonite Church (South Boston, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2011. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F367.html.
APA style: Brunk, Arthur S and Sam Steiner. (February 2011). Ebenezer Mennonite Church (South Boston, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F367.html.