First Mennonite Church of Morton (Morton, Illinois, USA)
Morton Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in the city of Morton, Tazewell County, Illinois, a member of the Illinois Mennonite Conference, is a merger of two older rural congregations, Pleasant Grove, near Tremont, IL, whose meetinghouse was erected in 1879, and Goodfield, near Goodfield, IL, whose building was erected in 1883. The church was dedicated on 4 May 1941. In 1957 the congregation had 200 members with Kenneth G. Good as bishop. In 2005 there were 266 members; Doane Brubaker was the pastor.
The name was changed to First Mennonite Church of Morton in 1961. A larger facility was built and dedicated at the present site in 1965.
The church is located at 250 S. Baltimore Ave, Morton IL 61550.
Mennonite Church USA. "Online Directory." Accessed 2 October 2006. <http://directory.mennoniteusa.org/congregation.asp?CongregationID=1603>
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 754. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Roth, Roy D. "First Mennonite Church of Morton (Morton, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F5695.html.
APA style: Roth, Roy D. (1957). First Mennonite Church of Morton (Morton, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F5695.html.