Frederick Mennonite Community (Frederick, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Frederick Mennonite Community (first known as Mennonite Home for the Aged (General Conference Mennonite Church)), located at Frederick, PA, had its beginning when N. B. Grubb purchased the former Frederick Institute on 11 February 1896. It was a three-story brick building erected in 1857, with three acres of land. On 24 March 1896 the Eastern District Conference (GCM) purchased this property from Grubb. The Mennonite Home for the Aged was dedicated and officially opened on 1 September 1896. The buildings consisted of the main building, a south wing added in 1928, the three-story Stetler property located across the street and occupied by members of the staff, 22 acres of adjoining land purchased later, and the administrator's residence erected in 1954. A $400,000 building program was instituted in 1957 to add 39 rooms, a chapel, and an elevator. In 1956 there were 31 guests and a staff of 10.
The Home was controlled by a board of managers of nine members elected by the Eastern District Conference. In 1956 they were Freeman H. Swartz, chairman; Vernon F. Detweiler, secretary; Harry M. Detwiler, financial secretary and treasurer; William H. Mohr, vice-chairman; Eugene S. Oberholtzer, Stanley Stauffer, Lester Shaffer, Willis A. Moyer, and Stanley Fretz. Mr. and Mrs. Wilmer S. Shelly were the administrators.
In 2006 the Frederick Mennonite Community offered skilled nursing beds, memory support units, assisted living, and independent living options.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 628. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Shelly, Wilmer S. "Frederick Mennonite Community (Frederick, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F720.html.
APA style: Shelly, Wilmer S. (1957). Frederick Mennonite Community (Frederick, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F720.html.