Garden City (Missouri, USA)
Garden City, Missouri, a village (1950 pop. 590; 2000 pop. 1,500) in Cass County, approximately 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Kansas City. Mennonites (Mennonite Church (MC)) moved into the community in 1860 and eight years later organized a congregation. There have been four congregations in the community, Clearfork (MC) 1868-1876, Clearfork (General Conference Mennonite) 1876-1885?, Sycamore Grove (MC) 1816- , and Bethel (MC) 1885-1947, which merged with Sycamore Grove in 1947. In 1954 the Mennonite population of this area was approximately 300.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 439. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Yoder, James D. "Garden City (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G371.html.
APA style: Yoder, James D. (1956). Garden City (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G371.html.