Glenlea Mennonite Church (Glenlea, Manitoba, Canada)
About 20 Mennonite immigrant families arrived in the Glenlea, Manitoba, area from Russia in 1925. Glenlea is located about 18 miles (30 km) south of Winnipeg. The families initially met for worship in private homes. In 1926 they began to meet in rented facilities, and in 1928 they joined the Schoenwiese Mennonite Church group, a multi-congregational church. In 1946 they became an independent congregation with a membership of 44. In 1950 they moved a building to Glenlea to use as their own meeting house.
In 1975 this building needed to be renovated and enlarged, but instead the congregation decided to build a new meeting house. The congregation has emphasized the study of scripture through its annual Bible study weekends.
Mennonite Reporter (26 January 1976): 16; (15 September 1986): 14.
Warkentin, A. D. "Kurzer Geschichtlicher Ueberblick: das Entstehen und ueber die ersten 50 Jahre der Glenlea Mennonitengemeinde." 1975, 4 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Address: Glenlea, Manitoba
Telephone: (204) 883-2471
Glenlea Mennonite Church membership
Glenlea Mennonite Church pastors
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 525. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Pankratz, Jacob and Marlene Epp. "Glenlea Mennonite Church (Glenlea, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G639.html.
APA style: Pankratz, Jacob and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Glenlea Mennonite Church (Glenlea, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G639.html.