Hillcrest Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada)
Box 1149, New Hamburg, ON, N0B 2G0. (519) 662-1577. Located 1.5 km west of New Hamburg at Hwy 7 & 8 and Waterloo Regional Rd. 1. Ministers Glenn Zehr and Jan Steckley served in 2002 as congregational leaders. In 1965 there were 162 members; in 1975, 207; in 1985, 229; in 1995, 250; in 2000, 251. The congregation has been affiliated with the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference (1964-1988), Mennonite Church (1964-1999), Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1995-). The language of worship is English.
The congregation began services and formally organized in 1964. The first building was occupied in 1964. Henry Yantzi is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through church planting from East Zorra Mennonite in 1964 due to the latter's increasing numbers.
Hillcrest Mennonite Church, New Hamburg, Ontario (1976), 12 pp.; Mennonites in Canada collection "70-Hillcrest," Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Lichti, Fred. A History of the East Zorra (Amish) Mennonite Church 1837-1977. Tavistock, ON: East Zorra Mennonite Church, 1977, 132 pp.
Kaethler, Andy. "History of Hillcrest Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Unpublished histories, 1979 and 1984, part of 15th and 20th anniversary celebrations.
Church records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Hillcrest Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H553.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Hillcrest Mennonite Church (New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H553.html.