Johnson County (Missouri, USA)
Johnson County, Missouri approximately 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Kansas City, with Cass County on its western border, at one time contained an Amish Mennonite settlement, located in the southwestern part of the county near Holden. The first Amish settlers in the community were Joseph Gerber and his family, who moved there from Indiana around 1870. The first church was built in 1889 and was located six miles southwest of Holden. By 1893 the congregation, named Pleasant View, had 53 members, who were served by the preachers David Morrell and Andrew Miller, both old men. Later in that decade Henry Rychener was ordained to serve the church. Under his leadership the church changed from German to English services. At its highest membership, the congregation numbered approximately 100. After Rychener moved to Ohio, D.B. Raber was ordained to serve the congregation. About 1908 members began to move from the community to Cass County, Missouri, Aurora, Ohio and other places. When Raber moved to Portage County, Ohio in 1911, the church was without a minister and eventually became extinct.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 117. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Johnson County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6533.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Johnson County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6533.html.