Johnstown (Pennsylvania, USA)
Johnstown, Pennsylvania was a city with a population of 67,000 in 1957, located in Cambria County, adjacent to a large Mennonite settlement in northern Somerset County and southern Cambria County. Johnstown was named after Joseph Johns, an Amishman who settled there in 1793 and platted part of his farm for a town in 1800. The Mennonites settled in this area about 1790. In 1957 the area had a church membership total of 850 with eight churches -- one of them a mission church located in the city-- all belonging to the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. Only a small percentage of the members ever lived in the city before 1939, when the mission was started there. Johnstown is the shopping center of this area. Johnstown is known as the "flood city," having been destroyed in 1889 by the breaking of a dam near South Fork about 13 miles above the town. It had large steel mills, and large coal workings in the surrounding area, making it an important industrial city.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 118. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kaufman, Ammon. "Johnstown (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6555.html.
APA style: Kaufman, Ammon. (1957). Johnstown (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6555.html.