Kaufman Amish Mennonite Church (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Kaufman Amish Mennonite Church is now extinct. Among the first settlers of Conemaugh Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania., were some Amish Mennonites who began to come about 1790. Christian (Schmidt) Miller (d. 1845) was one of the first and became the first Amish bishop in the township. Others kept moving in until there were possibly several hundred members around Johnstown. The advent of the steel mills into Johnstown caused many of them to move westward. They adhered strictly to the German language, which caused a general decline in membership. In 1880 they built two meetinghouses, one near Davidsville, Somerset County, known as the Kaufman Church, because it was built and financed by Isaac Kaufman and because more than half the members had the name Kaufman, and another near Geistown, Cambria County. After the death of Bishop Moses B. Miller in 1902, services at the Geistown church (sometimes known as the Miller church) were discontinued, while the Davidsville church continued with ministerial help supplied by the Mifflin County churches until 1916, after which all Amish worship was discontinued and the church dismantled. The few surviving members united with the Mennonite Church (MC).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 158. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kaufman, Ammon. "Kaufman Amish Mennonite Church (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K3951.html.
APA style: Kaufman, Ammon. (1957). Kaufman Amish Mennonite Church (Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K3951.html.