Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
Kiel, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, population (1950) 253,857, is the seat of a Mennonite congregation, founded in 1948 by refugees from the Danzig area who settled in this region. In 1956 it had 332 baptized members, with Hans Rempel as pastor, who was at the same time serving as pastor of a Lutheran congregation in the city. Most of the members lived outside the city in surrounding towns and villages.
In December 1946 the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) relief program in this area was begun with headquarters in Kiel, continuing until the summer of 1950. Until the summer of 1948 Kiel was also the MCC headquarters for the entire British Zone, with C. J. Dyck as director.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K5210.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1957). Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/K5210.html.