Lebanon County (Pennsylvania, USA)
In 1729 Lebanon Township was a part of Lancaster County. In 1813 it united with a part of Dauphin County to form Lebanon County. Lebanon is its county seat. Numerous Mennonite families moved into the area. The United Brethren schism, again broken by the United Christian Church, preyed much upon them; others moved into Juniata County and communities farther west. The Church of the Brethren later absorbed them, so that most of the mid-20th century membership was the result of 20th-century colonization. The earliest meeting house was built at Shirksville in 1775, the home of Caspar Shirk of Chestnut Hill. Other early houses of worship were located at the site of the Gingrich, Krall, and Dohner churches, and also the Kauffman, Shirk, and Light (in Lebanon) churches. In the mid-20th century Meckville, Miners Village, Royer, Texter, and North Lebanon were opened. In 1957 the Mennonite membership in the ten congregations was 521; Krall with 77 was the highest.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 303. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Lebanon County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/L4282.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Lebanon County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/L4282.html.