Martins Mennonite Church (MC) (Wayne County, Ohio)
Martins Mennonite Church, with its meetinghouse in east central Wayne County, Ohio, about southeast of Orrville, was founded by Lancaster County Mennonites in 1834. William Westheffer and Henry Martin were the first ministers. The congregation erected a log meetinghouse in 1835. Being rather conservative, the congregation did not organize a Sunday school until 1880. The congregation had 197 members in 1955, with Stanford Mumaw as pastor. In 2006 the membership was 182, with Randy B. Murray as Pastor. Martins is a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA.
Earlier the Pleasant View and Martins congregations were counted in a sense as one congregation with alternating services in the two meetinghouses but a joint ministry. In 1930 the connection severed and each became a fully independent congregation. The Wisler schism of 1873 cost heavily in membership at both Martins and Pleasant View, the County Line-Chestnut Ridge Old Order Mennonite congregation having been formed from this schism.
The congregation's address is 14027 Church Road, Orrville, Ohio.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 516-517. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Umble, John S. "Martins Mennonite Church (MC) (Wayne County, Ohio)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M378541.html.
APA style: Umble, John S. (1957). Martins Mennonite Church (MC) (Wayne County, Ohio). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M378541.html.