Meade Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church (Meade, Kansas, USA)
The Meade (Kansas) Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church was transplanted from Jansen, Nebraska, in 1906-1908. The influences of more evangelistic Mennonite groups, the adjustment to the American environment as a whole, and the determination of the leader to maintain the status quo caused the disintegration of the church. The Diener-Konferenz in 1937, attended by Canadian Kleine Gemeinde ministers, could not settle the problems. The attendance at the two churches dwindled to a mere handful. Separate meetings were initiated in one of the church buildings by some dissatisfied members, which brought about the organization of a new church. H. R. Harms of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church was asked to serve this group, which was officially organized as an unaffiliated Emmanuel Mennonite Church in 1944. The services and activities of the Kleine Gemeinde ceased, although its elders still lived in the community. Most of the members that had not joined the local Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church joined the Emmanuel Mennonite Church.
Classen, Daniel J. "Meade—A Changing Community." Mennonite Life 6 (1951): 14 ff.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 547. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Meade Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church (Meade, Kansas, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M407.html.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Meade Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church (Meade, Kansas, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M407.html.