Mechanicsburg (Pennsylvania, USA)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, in the beautiful Cumberland Valley is a quiet town of 6,786 (1955), seven miles (11 km) southwest of Harrisburg. The Union House cornerstone was laid 12 June 1798, with Christian Newcomer, a United Brethren bishop, present. It was a house "wherein Christian preachers of all denominations are to enjoy the privilege of preaching." How many decades Mennonites (MC) used this house is not definitely known, but it was only in the early 1950's that they ceased to do so.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 547. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Mechanicsburg (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M423.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mechanicsburg (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M423.html.