Menno Simons Kerkje (Witmarsum, Friesland, Netherlands)
Menno Simons Kerkje is a former meetinghouse in Witmarsum, Dutch province of Friesland, where Menno was supposed to have preached his first sermons after leaving the Catholic Church in 1536. It stood here for 50 years, about two miles from the village. In 1878 it was torn down because it was too small and old, and the Menno monument was erected on its site. The Mennonites of Witmarsum built a new and spacious church in the village. H. Thepass made engravings of both the interior and the exterior of the Menno Church, which were edited by M. Stoffels at Zaandam.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen. (1880): 164.
Mennonitische Blätter (1902): 49, shows a picture of the old church.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 95.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 584. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Neff, Christian. "Menno Simons Kerkje (Witmarsum, Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463603.html.
APA style: Neff, Christian. (1957). Menno Simons Kerkje (Witmarsum, Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463603.html.