Mennonite Book and Tract Society
Mennonite Book and Tract Society (1889-1908) was founded in May 1889 near Orrville, Ohio, by a number of Mennonites "to awaken a greater interest for good literature and supply the same." The first formal business meeting was held on 10 October 1892, and the last on 11 November 1907. The Society published ten books and one catalog, at least thirty-three tracts, possibly many more, and Sunday-school materials: Beams of Light (1906-1908), Book and Tract Messenger, and primary (1906- ) and advanced (1907- ) lesson helps. The first president was J. S. Coffman, followed by J. S. Lehman, John Blosser, and D. H. Bender. Other officers were: vice-president, David Burkholder, Aaron Loucks; tract editor, J. S. Coffman, A. D. Wenger; secretary, M. S. Steiner. The official place of business of the Society was the address of the treasurer: G. L. Bender, Elkhart, Indiana, 1889-1898; J. A. Ressler, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, 1898-1902; John W. Weaver, Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, 1902-1905 and A. D. Martin, Scottdale, 1905-1908, when the Society's business was merged with the work of the Mennonite Publishing House.
Hostetler, John A. "History of the Mennonite Book and Tract Society." Mennonite Quarterly Review 31 (1957): 105.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 594. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hostetler, John A. "Mennonite Book and Tract Society." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463737.html.
APA style: Hostetler, John A. (1957). Mennonite Book and Tract Society. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M463737.html.