Mennonite Gospel Mission (Chicago, Illinois, USA)
Chicago Mennonite Gospel Mission, 6201 Carpenter St., Chicago, Illinois, an extinct mission station, was founded in 1909 as the initial step in home mission work by the Central Conference of Mennonites. It was first located at 843 West 63d Street. The property at the Carpenter Street location was purchased in 1910 and rebuilt for mission purposes. For many years it was known as the Mennonite Home Chapel. The membership at one time was near 60, but successive population shifts removed the chief elements in the mission constituency, and the work was continued for some years with increasing difficulty. The Home Mission Committee discontinued its organized program at the close of 1947 and the property was sold soon after.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 556. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hartzler, Raymond L. "Mennonite Gospel Mission (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M4668255.html.
APA style: Hartzler, Raymond L. (1957). Mennonite Gospel Mission (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M4668255.html.