Meno (Major County, Oklahoma)
Meno (Oklahoma) is a small town about 16 miles (25 km) west of Enid in Major County, Oklahoma, in a wheat-growing area. Most of the 175 inhabitants of 1956 were Mennonites of Polish and Russian Mennonite descent, and members of the New Hopedale Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church). (In 2000 the population was 195.) The Oklahoma Bible Academy was located here until 1983 when it moved to Enid. "Meno" is a corruption of "Menno" (after Menno Simons).
In 1956 the town had a grain elevator with a capacity of 190,000 bushels and could easily handle 300,000 bushels per year. It handled also flour, feed, coal, fertilizer, and other commodities. It also had a good bank which had deposits in 1956 of $707,354.93 and the depositors were guaranteed up to $10,000.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 652. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Schmidt, H. U. "Meno (Major County, Oklahoma)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M481.html.
APA style: Schmidt, H. U. (1957). Meno (Major County, Oklahoma). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M481.html.