Men-O-Lan, Camp (Quakertown, Pennsylvania, USA)
Men-O-Lan, 1415 Doerr Rd., Quakertown, Pennsylvania, is the camp site of the Eastern District Conference (Mennonite Church USA), located one mile east of Finland, Milford Township, Bucks County Development started in 1938 with twenty-three acres of woodland donated by J. Walter Landis, which was increased to ninety-two acres in 1954. The first camp program was held in July 1941. Equipment, buildings, and land were evaluated at $74,410 in 1956. Developments included three workers' cabins, seven cabins, auditorium, dining hall kitchen, washrooms, nature trails, artificial lake, two wells, caretaker's apartment, and the Landis Memorial Chapel. Weekly Sunday-school services were held in the chapel. Program planning in 1956 was the responsibility of the Retreat Committee. The camp was administered by a Board of Managers of nine members elected by the Eastern District Conference.
Fretz, J. E. "Retreat Camp Grounds Men-O-Lan." Mennonite Life 2 (July 1947) :6 f.
Report of the Eastern District Conference, 1938, 1956.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 652-653. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Shelly, Maynard. "Men-O-Lan, Camp (Quakertown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M482.html.
APA style: Shelly, Maynard. (1957). Men-O-Lan, Camp (Quakertown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M482.html.