Milford (Seward County, Nebraska, USA)
Milford, Nebraska, is a town (1957 pop. 900; 2000 pop. 2,070) in the southeastern end of Seward County, which is in the southeastern part of the state. The three Mennonite (MC)) churches in the community in 1956, Milford, East Fairview, West Fairview, had a total of 796 members. Approximately 650 Mennonites lived within shopping distance of the town. The main settlement was west of town, but there were Mennonites living all around it. Approximately 18 per cent (75 families) of the Mennonites in 1956 lived in town; about one third of the businesses were owned and operated by Mennonites. Mennonites have lived in this area since 1873. Near the town was the Rest Home for the Aged, privately operated by a Mennonite family.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 134.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 687-688. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Schlegel, L. O. "Milford (Seward County, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5424.html.
APA style: Schlegel, L. O. (1957). Milford (Seward County, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M5424.html.