Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Chesapeake, Virginia, USA)
Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located in Norfolk County, (now the city of Chesapeake) Virginia, is a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The first settlers came into this area in 1900 and were organized into a congregation on 17 September 1905, by Anthony Heatwole, bishop from Waynesboro, VA, with 16 charter members; J. D. Wert was ordained as pastor. Other ministers who served the congregation to the 1950s were A. D. Wenger, S. H. Brunk, Amos D. Wenger, and Clayton D. Bergey, who served the congregation of 174 members in 1956. The first meetinghouse was built in 1910 and enlarged in 1952.
The congregation established the Mount Pleasant Christian Day School in 1941.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III: 170.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 760. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wenger, A. D. "Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Chesapeake, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M68465.html.
APA style: Wenger, A. D. (1957). Mount Pleasant Mennonite Church (Chesapeake, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M68465.html.