Neukirchner Mennonite Church (Chinook, Alberta, Canada)
The Neukirchner Mennonite Church at Chinook, Alberta began services about 1926, and formally organized in 1928. Wilhelm Martens is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1928-1944) although there were also Mennonite Brethren and Allianz families in the congregation. The language of worship was German. The congregation dissolved in 1944 due to the loss of membership during the Depression. The groups from Chinook, Sedalia and New Brigden were united in one organization.
Dick, C. L. The Mennonite Conference of Alberta: a History of its Churches and Institutions. Edmonton: The Mennonite Conference of Alberta, 1981, 147 pp.
Klassen, Irene Epp. "The Neukirchner Mennoniten Gemeinde von Chinook-Sedalia (1928-1950)." Mennonite Historian (December 1982); (March 1983).
Klassen, Irene. "The Neukircher Mennoniten Gemeinde von Chinook-Sedalia." Mennonite Life (March 1984).
Mennonite Reporter (13 December 1982): 10.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Neukirchner Mennonite Church (Chinook, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N485.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (July 1986). Neukirchner Mennonite Church (Chinook, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N485.html.