Norfolk County (Virginia, USA)
Norfolk County was located in southeast Virginia. In the eastern part of the county, about 12 miles (20 km) from Norfolk and two miles (three km) from Fentress, a Mennonite settlement of approximately 225 persons was located in 1957. A few families lived across the county line east in Princess Anne County. To the west in the same county was the Portsmouth settlement of approximately 90 persons. The Portsmouth area church was known as Deep Creek and the Fentress church was named Mount Pleasant. Both had Christian day schools. The first Mennonites arrived in the county in 1899, and the first church was dedicated in May 1910. Several Conservative Amish Mennonite families also lived in the county. They were affiliated with the larger settlement near Kempsville, Princess Anne County.
The county ceased to exist in 1963. Over the years portions of Norfolk County became parts of the cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth, and South Norfolk. In 1963, the remaining portions of Norfolk County were consolidated with South Norfolk to form the city of Chesapeake.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 912. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Wenger, Lenora H. "Norfolk County (Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67445.html.
APA style: Wenger, Lenora H. (1957). Norfolk County (Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/N67445.html.