Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Adair, Mayes County, Oklahoma, USA)
Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located about five miles west and one-half miles (10 km) south of Adair, Mayes County, Oklahoma, had its beginning as a mission station about 1927, when Monroe Hostetler of Hesston, Kansas, located in the community and conducted a Sunday school in the schoolhouse. Later preaching services were also arranged for and a mission was organized under the South Central Mennonite Conference (MC). Richard Birky (1913-1991) served as the resident pastor 1942-1947. In 1944 a house was remodeled as a church. In the spring of 1957 a new concrete block building was finished and dedicated; this building is located five miles west of Adair on Highway 28. In 1956 the membership was 21, with Richard Birky as pastor again, now also a bishop (ordained 1949).
In 2012 the church was a member of the Conservative Mennonite Conference. Carl Helmuth was the pastor and the membership was 25.
Address: 6978 W 380 Rd, Adair, OK 74330-3201
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Histand, Nelson and Richard D. Thiessen. "Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Adair, Mayes County, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O331.html.
APA style: Histand, Nelson and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Adair, Mayes County, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O331.html.