Oak Lake Mennonite Church (Oak Lake, Manitoba, Canada)
The Oak Lake congregation began services in 1928, and formally organized in 1929. The congregation met in rented facilities until 1949 when they built their own meeting house. In 1990 they built a new meeting house in the town site. P.C. Penner is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.
The congregation was formerly part of the Schoenwiese church group; it became independent of Schoenwieser in 1978.
In 1975 there were 71 members; in 1985, 70; in 1995, 59; in 2000, 43. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Manitoba, Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada and General Conference Mennonite Church (until 1999). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The leaders of the congregation have included Peter Penner (1929-1945), Jacob Enns (1956-1963), and Jacob Sawatzky (1956- ).
Mennonite Reporter (15 September 1986): 14; (4 September 1989): 16.
Enns, Egon. "History of the Oak Lake Mennonite Church to January 1967." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1967, 18 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Address: Box 39, Oak Lake MB R0M 1P0; located SE 28-9-24-W1
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Oak Lake Mennonite Church (Oak Lake, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O34.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Oak Lake Mennonite Church (Oak Lake, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O34.html.