Ohio Mennonite Mission Board
Ohio Mennonite Mission Board (Mennonite Church) was organized in 1920 and held its first annual meeting in that year. The first president of the board was A. J. Steiner. Other officers were J. S. Gerig, S. E. Allgyer, Eli D. Yoder, and E. B. Stoltzfus. The Orrville Mennonite Church is the outgrowth of the first full-time mission project under the Ohio board. The Ohio Evangel, which the Board published bimonthly, reported the activities of the organization as well as news from its mission congregations. In 1957 the Ohio Mennonite Mission Board had the following eight missions: Fairpoint (at Fairpoint), Hillside Chapel (Jackson), Kennedy Avenue (Dayton), Lower Owl Creek (Lucasville), Pine Grove (Vinton), Rockview (Youngstown), St. John's Chapel (Logan), and Warneke Chapel (Pedro). Outside of the jurisdiction of the board were 24 outposts of congregations which were members of the board. The Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities operated five additional missions in Ohio.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 32. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Ohio Mennonite Mission Board." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O4928.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Ohio Mennonite Mission Board. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O4928.html.