Old Colony Mennonite Church (Cheslatta, British Columbia, Canada)
The Old Colony Mennonite Church (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) at Cheslatta, British Columbia began services in the 1940s. In 1940, the British Columbia and Saskatchewan governments and the Canadian National Railway brought 25 Old Colony Mennonite families from drought stricken areas in the Hague-Osler and Toppingham areas of Saskatchewan to the Burns Lake District. Other families followed in the next few years. These settlers established churches in Cheslatta and Grassy Plains. Cheslatta is approximately 60 km. south of Burns Lake, east of Ootsa Lake.
In 2010 the church held services in Low German and High German and had a membership of approximately 200.
Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012..
Reimer, Margaret L. One Quilt, Many Pieces. Waterloo, ON: Mennonite Publishing Service, 1983: 42.
Stevenson, Jane. "Mennonite Migration, 1940: Fleeing the Prairie Drought." Northwood Magazine (October 2011). Web. 22 February 2012. http://northword.ca/october-2011/mennonite-migration-1940.
Stoesz, Conrad. Migration to Burns Lake, BC, 1940. Mennonite Historian XXIX, No. 1 (March 2003): 1, 4.
Burns Lake & Lakes District History & Genealogy Website: Mennonite Arrivals at Cheslatta.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene and Richard D. Thiessen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Cheslatta, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5223.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene and Richard D. Thiessen. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Cheslatta, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5223.html.