Old Colony Mennonite Church (Matheson, Ontario, Canada)
The Old Colony Mennonite community at Matheson, Ontario began in 1957 when about a dozen Old Colony Mennonite families from Mexico settled in the area. The purchased pasture land and worked locally. Although no formal church was established, worship services were led by a Reinland Mennonite Church minister from Manitoba. Over the years families moved away to join communities near Aylmer, Ontario, Rainy River, Ontario or to Manitoba. Within a few years the settlement ended.
Canadian Mennonite (18 April 1958): 1; (7 November 1958): 3; (14 August 1959): 1.
Dyck, Peter & Henry Friesen. "Old Colony Mennonite Church of Ontario." Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875-2000, Delbert Plett, ed. Steinbach, Man.: Crossway Publications, 2001: 163.
Gospel Herald (31 December 1957): 1144.
Fransen, J. J. "Matheson and New Liskeard." United Mennonite Conference of Ontario Yearbook. (1957): 20.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Matheson, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2011. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5262.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (August 2011). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Matheson, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5262.html.