Old Elm Hutterite Colony (Magrath, Alberta, Canada)
Old Elm Hutterite Bruderhof at Magrath, Alberta, was founded in 1918 by Andreas Gross, who had been chosen as minister in South Dakota in 1911 (now deceased). Other ministers, with date of election and ordination, were Andrew J. Wurtz, 1936 and 1946; Jacob J. Wipf, 1947 and 1950; Isaak A. Wurtz, chosen in 1954. In 1947 this Bruderhof had a population of 140, with 60 baptized members. In 1953 Jacob J. Wipf branched out with 16 families, composed of 82 persons, 38 of whom were baptized members, and founded the Bunch Bruderhof at Shaunavan, SK, which in the mid-1950s had a population of 97, with 48 baptized members. Samuel Decker was chosen as minister here in 1954. The Old Elm Bruderhof in 1957 had a population of 100, with 38 baptized members.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 42. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Decker, David. "Old Elm Hutterite Colony (Magrath, Alberta, Canada) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O536.html.
APA style: Decker, David. (1959). Old Elm Hutterite Colony (Magrath, Alberta, Canada) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O536.html.