Oley Mennonite Church (Oley Valley, Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Oley Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in Oley Valley, Berks County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, was the outgrowth of both an agricultural extension and an evangelical outreach from the Conestoga Mennonite Church near Morgantown, Pennsylvania. The first family moved into the valley in 1938, and by 1942 there were 13 families. Sunday-school services were begun in May 1942. On 3 January 1943, Omar Kurtz was ordained as the first pastor. On 18 July 1946, John L. Glick was ordained assistant pastor. For eight years the services were held in a rented union chapel; in September 1950 a new church was dedicated. A number from the community have been received into the church, and from here have gone at least six missionaries. The membership in 1957 was 115, with Ira A. Kurtz of the Conestoga congregation serving as bishop.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 54. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kurtz, Omar A. "Oley Mennonite Church (Oley Valley, Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5522.html.
APA style: Kurtz, Omar A. (1959). Oley Mennonite Church (Oley Valley, Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O5522.html.