Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA)
Oraibi (Arizona) Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite) was established among the Hopi People in northern Arizona in 1893. H. R. Voth was the first missionary. Others serving in the formative period of the mission were J. B. Epp and J. B. Frey. Later the work was expanded to include the two villages of Hotevilla, 7 miles (12 km) west of Oraibi, and Moen Copi (Tuba City), 45 miles (55 km) west of Hotevilla. By 1929 the membership of the Hopi missions had reached 32 and by 1935 the number was 42. In 1957 12 missionaries were serving in the three stations, 8 of whom were at Oraibi.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 72. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O720.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/O720.html.