Pandora (Putnam County, Ohio, USA)
Pandora, a village (pop. 717 in 1959; pop. 1,188 in 2000) located in Putnam County in northwestern Ohio. It was first called Columbia, later Pendleton, until changed to Pandora. Approximately 750 Mennonites live in Pandora and on its rural route. Most belong to the General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM), although some belong to the Missionary Church Association (MCA) and several families to the Reformed Mennonite Church.
The Mennonite community extends from 2 miles north of Pandora to about 4 miles south of the village, and from 1 mile west to 4 miles east of the village. About half of the members live in the village. The first Mennonites here were Swiss Mennonites from Florimont, France, who settled three miles south of Pandora in 1833.
The Grace Mennonite Church (GCM) and the Missionary Church (MCA) are located in the village. The St. John Mennonite Church (GCM) is located 1 mile southeast of Pandora, the Reformed Mennonite Church 3 miles southeast of Pandora in Allen County, but on the Pandora rural postal route.
This area is generally conceded to have some of the best soil in northwestern Ohio and is well known for its crops including cattle, tomatoes, potatoes, and sugar beets.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 114. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gratz, Delbert L. "Pandora (Putnam County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P3632.html.
APA style: Gratz, Delbert L. (1959). Pandora (Putnam County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P3632.html.