Peake Mennonite Church (Hinton, Virginia, USA)
Peake Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located 2 miles northwest of Hinton, VA, a rural mission church of the Middle District of the Virginia Mennonite Conference, began in 1915 when a Sunday school was organized in a schoolhouse in this highland area. A congregation was established in 1923. Kent Shank and Joseph A. Brunk, active Sunday-school workers, asked permission of the Middle District Council to build the meetinghouse. This was granted if the necessary funds could be raised. H. B. Keener followed by Snively Martin served as pastors of this church for many years; James Shank served here 1947-57. Dewitt Heatwole was the pastor in 1958 with a membership of 47.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 131. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Brunk, Harry A. "Peake Mennonite Church (Hinton, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P431.html.
APA style: Brunk, Harry A. (1959). Peake Mennonite Church (Hinton, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/P431.html.