Salem Mennonite Church (Dalton, Ohio, USA)
Salem Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), located 4 miles southwest of Dalton, Ohio, and 2½ miles northeast of Kidron, Ohio, was organized 20 May 1886, with 18 charter members, of the Sommer, Kirchhofer, Lehman, Zuercher, Moser, Steffen, Amstutz, and Geiger families, as a schism from the Sonnenberg Swiss congregation. The first meetinghouse was dedicated on 28 November 1886. A. A. Sommer was chosen as the first regular pastor. The present building is a result of additions and four remodeling programs. The congregation in 1957 had 204 baptized members, with James R. Reusser as minister.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 405-406. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Badertscher, Ivan L. "Salem Mennonite Church (Dalton, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2443.html.
APA style: Badertscher, Ivan L. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (Dalton, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S2443.html.