Selowitz (Středočeský kraj, Czech Republic)
Selowitz, a village in what was formerly Moravia (now in the Central Bohemian Region [Středočeský kraj] of the Czech Republic) in which the Hutterian Brethren built a Bruderhof, which they abandoned in 1583 to move to near-by Nusslau, where the landowners promised them greater liberty in cultivating wine and hops. In Selowitz they occupied what is now house No. 37.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 498. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: "Selowitz (Středočeský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S445.html.
APA style: (1959). Selowitz (Středočeský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S445.html.