Shantz Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada)
The Shantz Mennonite Church near Baden, Ontario began services in 1840. The first building, a stone structure, was occupied in 1853 and remodeled in 1900. It was replaced by a brick building in 1929, with another addition in 1988. The community was settled in the 1830s; the first settlers were George R. Schmitt and John Schmitt from the Alsace. The congregation originated primarily through immigration from Pennsylvania. At one time the congregation was known as the Upper Street Church. On 13 July 1956 a tornado ripped off the roof of the church. The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the early 1900's.
Canadian Mennonite (13 July 1956): 1.
Fretz, J. C. "The Shantz Mennonite Church." 1953, 7 pp. Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Kehl, J. Lester. "History of the Shantz Mennonite Church."
Mennonite Reporter (9 May 1988): 17.
Shantz, Christine. "History Changes." Personal e-mail (22 November 2011).
Archival records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: R. R. 2, Box 299, Baden, ON N0B 1G0; located 3 km north of Baden, 13 km west of Waterloo on Erb's Road
Mennonite Conference of Ontario / Mennonite Church Eastern Canada
Shantz Mennonite Church Leading Ministers
Shantz Mennonite Church Membership
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Shantz Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2011. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S5367ME.html.
APA style: Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (November 2011). Shantz Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S5367ME.html.