Steinbach Chortitzer Mennonite Church (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada)
The Steinbach Chortitzer Mennonite congregation in Steinbach, Manitoba began services in the 1920s. The first building was occupied in 1948, with subsequent building programs in 1955 and 1981. Johann Schroeder is considered the founding leader of the group.
Originally the group alternated services with the Kleine Gemeinde (Evangelical Mennonite Church) in the latter's church building.
In 1985 there were 390 members. The congregation has been affiliated with the Chortitzer Mennonite Conference. The language of worship is German and English; the transition from German occurred in 1975.
Harder, Leland. Steinbach and Its Churches. Elkhart, IN: Mennonite Biblical Seminary, 1970, 109 pp.
Mennonite Reporter (11 January 1982): 12.
Mennonites in Canada Collection, "70-Steinbach," Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: 479 Hanover St., Steinbach, MB R0A 2A0.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Steinbach Chortitzer Mennonite Church (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S742.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Steinbach Chortitzer Mennonite Church (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/S742.html.