Tabor College of Theology (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)
When Tabor College was founded in 1908 by the Tabor College Corporation in Hillsboro, Kansas, the study of the Bible was regarded as the core of educational activity. Although the great demand for a liberal arts program resulted in a divisional curriculum, the Bible Department from the first provided unity, direction, and purpose for the entire college program. In addition to offering courses required for academy and college graduation, the Bible Department also offered special courses for students who chose to concentrate on Bible study.
In the early years a Five-Year Bible Course was offered academy and preparatory students. Many of the courses were taught in the German language. This practical course was reduced to a Four-Year Bible Course in 1916. Meanwhile as the college division expanded, a Three-Year Theological Course was added.
During the early years of instruction outstanding teachers like H. W. Lohrenz, Peter C. Hiebert, P. P. Rempel, D. E. Harder, and Henry F. Toews gave guidance and instruction in the Bible to many students who have become pastors, teachers, and missionaries in the conference program. In more recent years P. R. Lange, Abraham H. Unruh, D. Edmond Hiebert, C. F. Plett, Waldo Hiebert, and Lando Hiebert have helped develop the Bible Department.
The first degree course, the Collegiate Bible Course which led to the degree of Bachelor of Theology (Th.B.), was introduced in 1924. During the year 1934-35 the college was closed for reorganization. Shortly after the college was reopened as a conference school of the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America, the Bible Department again expanded. In 1938 the Bachelor of Religious Education (B.R.E.) degree was added. In 1942 the Graduate of Theology (Th.G.) degree was introduced. In 1944 the Tabor College of Theology was finally organized as a separate organization. During the same year the Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.) degree was added. This program continued until the conference voted to move the seminary to Fresno, California, in 1955. Since then Tabor College has had only a typical college Bible department.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 681. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Prieb, Wesley J. "Tabor College of Theology (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T3413.html.
APA style: Prieb, Wesley J. (1959). Tabor College of Theology (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T3413.html.