Tabor Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA)
Tabor Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located 3 miles south and 1½ miles east of Goessel, Marion County, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference, is a sister church to Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church. The church building was dedicated on 25 October 1908. The church was organized on 21 January 1909 with 115 charter members. H. R. Voth and C. Frey were the pioneer leaders. In the fall of 1909 P. H. Richert was called as pastor and elder, serving until 1946. H. B. Schmidt was pastor 1944-1957, followed by James H. Waltner 1958- . In 1938 the church building was enlarged. Several pastors and missionaries have gone out into mission fields. In the late 1950s the church had three Christian Endeavor societies, three sewing societies, and a Mennonite men's organization. The membership in 1956 was 422.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 681. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiesen, Daniel S. "Tabor Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T345.html.
APA style: Thiesen, Daniel S. (1959). Tabor Mennonite Church (Goessel, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T345.html.