Thorn (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Thorn (also known as Thorun, Thorunium, civitas Thorunensis, or civitas Torunensis, Tarnowo, Torun, Turon, Turun, Toron, and Thoron; now called Toruń; coordinates: 53.033333, 18.616667 [53° 2′ N 18° 37′ E]; population in 1875, 18,631, in 1910, 46,227, in 2009, 205,934), a city in Poland situated on the Vistula, where Mennonites lived in 1586. The members may have joined the Obernessau (also called Nieschewski) congregation. In 1678 the magistrates of Thorn issued a mandate forbidding the citizens to shelter Arians, Anabaptists, and Mennonites.
Szper, Felicia. Nederl. Nederzettinqen in West-Pruisen . . . . Enkhuizen, 1913: 152, 202 ff.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 716. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Thorn (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T592.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Thorn (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T592.html.