Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA)
Topeka Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]), located in Topeka, Lagrange County, Indiana, a member of the Central District, began in 1893 when Silver Street members and others living near Topeka began to worship together. They purchased the Eden Chapel in 1897, moved it west of Topeka, and used it until the present building was completed in 1927. John Mehl was the first pastor. He was succeeded by John C. Lehman, Ernest Hostetler, Earl Salzman, Wilmer S. Shelly, Esko Loewen, and Orlin F. Frey. The charter membership in 1898 was 21; 90 were added in 1930 when a part of the Maple Grove (Mennonite Church, later unaffiliated) congregation merged with this church. The membership in 1959 was 208, with Roy W. Henry as pastor.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 738. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Frey, Orlin F. "Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T671.html.
APA style: Frey, Orlin F. (1959). Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/T671.html.