Weavertown Amish Church (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Weavertown Amish Church (Beachy Amish), located in central and east-central Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was organized in 1910 with about 35 families by John P. Zook and Samuel Beachey of the Kishacoquillas Valley. The main issue was on avoidance and the ban. Christian L. King was the first bishop, followed by John A. Stoltzfus and George W. Beiler. Elam L. Kauffman and Aaron S. Glick were the ministers in 1957. In 1928 the group acquired the Molasses Hill Brethren meetinghouse near Birdin-Hand on Route 1, and remodeled it for their own use. During the late 1950s the services were mostly in German. Sunday school without helps was held all forenoon on every second Sunday, and young people's meeting was held Sunday evenings once a month. On Ascension Day in 1958 the Beachy Amish young people of the United States held an all-day conference with Weavertown as the host. In conjunction with the Norfolk (Virginia) Beachy Amish, Elam L. Kauffman, as the Weavertown representative, opened a mission in Berlin, Germany. Kauffman also is the conferee on the Mennonite Central Committee. The membership in 1958 was 275.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 905-906. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Weavertown Amish Church (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W43308.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Weavertown Amish Church (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W43308.html.