Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home (New Holland, Pennsylvania, USA)
Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home, located near New Holland, Pennsylvania, and sponsored by the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church), is the successor of the Welsh Mountain Industrial Mission, which was converted into an old people's home and the name changed in 1924. The first guests were received soon afterward. Benjamin Buckwalter and wife of Newton, Kansas, were assigned as the first superintendent and matron in charge. Extensions to the building were built in 1929 and again in 1940. The guest capacity was 32, with a staff of about 10. The location was healthful and many found this a pleasant retreat to spend their closing days. Jesse Yoder and wife of Belleville, Pennsylvania, were the superintendent and matron in the late 1950s.
Dietzel, Angela. Welsh Mountain Home. Accessed 4 October 2007 <http://www.mcusa-archives.org/jhorsch/jhorsch2004/dietzel_essay.htm>.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 915. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Buckwalter, Ira J. "Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home (New Holland, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W4614.html.
APA style: Buckwalter, Ira J. (1959). Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home (New Holland, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/W4614.html.