Youth Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference
Youth Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference, consisting of five members, came into being at the 1936 convention of the General Conference. At the 1933 general conference a Young People's Union Committee had been organized which produced several quarterly leaflets of study helps for young people's organizations in the churches in 1934. The Youth Committee began the Christian Leader in April 1937, which continued under its jurisdiction until the 1951 General Conference sessions, when it became the official English organ of the Conference and was placed under the jurisdiction of the Publication Committee. The Youth Committee sponsored Christian Fellowship organizations in the churches, promoted youth camps and other young people's activities. More and more, however, the youth work became a matter of the district conferences because of local conditions; in the revised constitution of the Conference as temporarily adopted in 1954 it became a consultative committee composed of one member at large and representatives from the youth committees of the districts. Since then the youth work has rested almost solely with the districts.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1010-1011. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Harms, Orlando. "Youth Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y689.html.
APA style: Harms, Orlando. (1959). Youth Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/Y689.html.