Bethany Church (Fresno, California, USA)
Fresno Mennonite Brethren Church, later known as the Bethany Mennonite Brethren Church and still later Bethany Church, initially located at the corner of Orchard and Olive streets, Fresno, California, had its beginning in 1920 when several Mennonite Brethren families began to hold services. The church was organized in June 1942 with 34 members. After renting a hall for services a number of years, the congregation purchased a building site in 1946 and erected a spacious church building which was greatly enlarged in 1954. After the Mennonite Brethren Pacific District Conference opened a Bible Institute in Fresno in 1944, this congregation grew rapidly. The congregation provided a church home for students and has in turn also greatly benefited through the services rendered by instructors and students of the Institute. The 1955 membership was 402, with Dan Friesen as pastor. Others who had served as pastors or assistants by the 1950s were J. D. Hofer, Sam Wiens, S. W. Goossen, Henry G. Wiens, Arthur Willems, and A. P. Koop. The congregation has relocated in the north part of the city.
The 2007 membership is 412.
Address: 9161 North Maple, Fresno, California
Website: Bethany Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 395. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lohrenz, John H. "Bethany Church (Fresno, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/bethany_church_fresno_california_usa.
APA style: Lohrenz, John H. (1956). Bethany Church (Fresno, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/bethany_church_fresno_california_usa.