Bethesda Preparatory School (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)
The Henderson Bethesda Preparatory School (German, Fortbildungsschule), located at Henderson, Nebraska, began as a secondary school built in 1902. The two- year course of study was modeled after the Hillsboro (Kansas) Preparatory School conducted by H. D. Penner. Christian Hege and J. J. Friesen were early teachers. When the public school began to offer full high-school courses (1911), attendance at the church school gradually declined, and the curriculum was limited more to Bible and German. The school was closed in 1932 and reopened as the Bethesda Bible School (Schmidt). In addition to this school there has also been a Henderson Bible School since 1933 under the leadership of J. R. Barkman. The list of schools under Bible Schools also mentions a Henderson Bible School of the General Conference started in 1942. This school has also been discontinued. Religious training is taken care of in special classes during the regular Sunday-school hour.
Katalog, Bethesda Fortbildungsschule (1902 ff.)
Schmidt, Theodore. "The Mennonites of Nebraska." Thesis, University of Nebraska, 1933: 43 ff.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 697. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Epp, H. D. "Bethesda Preparatory School (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/bethesda_preparatory_school_henderson_nebraska_usa.
APA style: Epp, H. D. (1956). Bethesda Preparatory School (Henderson, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/bethesda_preparatory_school_henderson_nebraska_usa.