Civilian Public Service Camp (Denison, Iowa, USA)
Denison Civilian Public Service Camp No. 18, located one mile southwest of Denison, Iowa, was opened in August 1941 and closed in September 1946. A soil conservation camp under the Mennonite Central Committee, it had an enrollment of over 100 men, who were engaged chiefly in erosion control and emergency farm work. The campers were given credit for their help in saving Council Bluffs, Iowa, from destruction by the Missouri River flood of April 1943. During the school year 1944-1945, a relief training school for campers who had volunteered for relief work was conducted at the camp.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 32. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Denison, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_denison_iowa_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Denison, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_denison_iowa_usa.