Civilian Public Service Camp (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA)
Hagerstown, Maryland, was the location of Civilian Public Service Camp No. 24, consisting of five units operated conjointly by the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and the Brethren Service Committee. Units 1, 3, and 4 were administered by the MCC. The three MCC units were located on farms in the northern part of the Cumberland Valley in Washington County, Maryland. The farms were owned by agencies of the MCC constituent churches. Each unit had approximately 35 men, whose work was in the area of soil conservation. During 1944 two special schools were held at Unit 4, which was located about five miles north of Clear Spring. These were the Farm and Community School and the Christian Workers' School. Unit 24 was approved by Selective Service in December 1941 and closed in September 1946.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 627. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_hagerstown_maryland_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Hagerstown, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/civilian_public_service_camp_hagerstown_maryland_usa.